Heinrich Heidersberger came to Wolfsburg in 1961 at the invitation of the city, where he and other artists moved into studios in Wolfsburg Castle, which bears the city’s name. First mentioned in 1302, “the Wolfsburg” was only reacquired by the city of Wolfsburg from the state of Lower Saxony shortly before Heidersberger moved into his studio and workshop. Located north of the city center, the castle was slated to become a cultural hub for the city according to the plans of the then municipal dual leadership, mayor Uwe-Jens Nissen and city administrator Wolfgang Hesse. In addition to Heidersberger, painter Gustav Kurt Beck, sculptor Peter Szaif, and graphic artist Helga Pape also made up part of the studio and residential community in Wolfsburg Castle, which featured a printing workshop as well. They exhibited together as the Schloßstraße 8 artist group for the first time in the fall of 1962.
The Heidersberger Institute has occupied the photographer’s studio and workshop as its office, archive, and exhibition space since its founding in 2002. Also housed here is the original Rhythmograph that Heidersberger used to create his light trace images between 1953 and 1965. Located in the castle today, in addition to the Heidersberger Institute, are the Städtische Galerie Wolfsburg, the Wolfsburg Kunstverein, Stadtmuseum im M2K, Junge Kunst e.V., and Create e.V. Wolfsburger Kunstverein. Gastronomic services are offered by the Schlossremise restaurant.